Day 11: Clothing



Food, clothing, and shelter; the three basic human requirements… the fundamentals of our existence. Sure, we’ve been taught that we require far more than these integral demands, however let’s agree that these are the basics.   Clothing has a tendency to feel least significant and yet it contains boundless meaning.   Fashion decisions announce us to a room before we utter a single word.  Our dress can be made to feel frivolous or superficial, when in actuality there are a varying degree of hands that have a role in the fashions we select.

I have a rich history with fashion.  Though it was long before my time, I can practically hear my grandfather’s hefty metal scissors click and snip; precisely shearing multiple layers of thick fabric in the fashion district of Manhattan.  It was the late 1930’s; he was a Master Dress Cutter in the heart of the Garment Center and my grandmother a seamstress; their contribution to the trade spanning over several decades.  I envision the gentle press of my grandmother’s foot driving the pedal of her sewing machine, its constant hum forming seams on garments. 

My genetic code is backstitched with an intense joy for dressing that reflects the times and the identities of those adorned in it’s history.  We drape our backs with the moods of the moments.  And now, I belong to a contemporary generation of makers.  The gentle click of my wooden knitting needles as the luxuriously thick wool or supple-soft Pima cotton glides from hand to hand…and I can’t imagine a life without creating, without crafting. This industry is simply sutured into my DNA and I maintain the strong intention to share and entrust this offering to the makers and artists of the future. 

No comments