Day 19: Self Knowledge


I recall participating in a yoga class with inversions, legs extended overhead, no security aside from my own shoulder strength (minimal), and the stability of my upper body (basically nonexistent).  I was so petrified to try, I almost curled into a ball and cried on my mat. I was easily the most inexperienced person in the class. Rather than crying, I reached out to the instructor, and within myself, for help. One toe off the mat, the other toe. Inch by inch I surrendered and see-sawed my feet, deciding I would trust myself. Like a sculptor working with day- old clay, I dragged my tools through simultaneously molding and re-shaping my body and my thoughts.

With palms to the earth, with the blood surging to my head, stretching my feet even only a few inches, I tried expanding well past where I was even remotely comfortable. That fear washed over me and I had a choice: to drown in it, surrender to the exquisite mental pain and give up on myself, or to expand (with tears behind my eyes ready to slip out at any moment)! or to stare it in the face and decide I wasn't going to abandon my attempts.

I relied on myself for navigation through this crippling mental state.  Yes, there was a teacher, a guide, who undoubtedly supported me… and yet it was me.  I refused to abandon myself.  I bequeathed the gift of stretching, permeating that imperceptible wall and maneuvering, conspiring against my own cerebral blockade, hungering for more. It wasn't perfect.  It didn't look like anyone else's (I'm sure), my legs were shaking… flailing.  I kept having to dig deep inside and push back into the pose, only to crash back down. But it was mine. And through all the chaos and triggers happening within me, I knew one thing was certain...  Internally, it was flawless.

No comments