Day 5: Giving


 -Janis Joplin

In the subject and spirit of giving, it dawned on me that possibly I should consider the gifts I’ve imparted upon myself.  Holding my sacred space and relishing quiet moments of solitude, indulging in an engrossing read, constructing fabrics with my hands and the gentle glide of wooden tools, the excitement of the inception of a new product, stringing my thoughts into readable material.  All of these creative outlets become an offering to the world, and yet they are also a gift to self. 

I am a firm believer in that making oneself the primary recipient of care is the only real way to tend to the dependents in our lives.  For whatever reason, we are made to feel egocentric when we devote time to accommodate our own needs first and I only wish that we could dismantle this rationale.  I am noticing an expanding dialogue as of late, especially on social media lately “self care.”  Public Figures and bloggers alike posing the question; “how do you carve out ‘me’ time?”
It’s both fascinating and disconcerting that we have to search for the time to satisfy our desires, or our creative cravings.  I see my best friend, a new mother, feeling wrong about longing for this time to herself.  Why?  How can she truly mother her child without giving to herself, first?  And yet, as a commuter, I am given these hours each day to utilize at my own discretion for just this.  I used to fall into the pity party when questioned about the length of my commute.  Yes, it is long.  Yes, there are days when I am tired and just want to hit that magic button and teleport home.  I used to really resent my train ride, and sometimes, I still do. I’m human, after all.   Until I adjusted my mindset began treating it as my hours: the only ticks on the clock that no one could take away from me.  It is my gift to myself to establish this investment in ME.  

Impulsively, I purchased a laptop last week.  No real research as to what I necessitated, no real plan, except that I haven’t owned a personal computer since college.  With only an intention of finding a deeper purpose in my craft, I decided to use it to share the thoughts that consistently buzz in my mind.  And with a night of little sleep, a jolt of caffeine, I make sure that my time is spent however I wish. I still struggle with what I “should” be doing and no doubt do I battle with remaining in the present moment, but from the time my feet extend from the platform to the comfort of (hopefully) a window seat, until the final terminal notification echoes from the speakers inside the third car, “This is your final stop, Grand Central.”  In those sixty or so minutes, I effort to appreciate the process and the journey, rather than solely the destination.  And I make sure that I give to me, so I can step out of those otherworldly doors onto 42nd street, and give of myself to the world. 

No comments