Day 6: Eating & Drinking






“Bonjour, Madame!” says the toothpick-shaped waiter, in his breezy accent, so thick and sophisticated.

With my lopsided messy bun, I sweep the wisps of hair that habitually fall over my right eye and I gaze up at him, grinning.  My thick handmade Peruvian wool herringbone scarf and light distressed denim studded jacket are just enough to keep the crisp, cool air at bay.  Only two words necessitate this conversation and they might possibly be my most beloved alliteration on the planet: "Bordeaux and baguette” (sil vous plait!)

I’m sounding really cultured and elegant here, but the truth is, I don’t speak a word of French, unless it means food or drink.  Well, actually…unless it means a baguette carved horizontally, perfect top half to bottom half proportions.  Slathered first in butter, then homemade apricot jam (or really, any jam).  The impeccably crisped flaky outside with a softer middle, only achieved with the local water.  I wish I could tell you I savor each morsel, but I am American; I certainly do not eat with the grace and eloquence of a French lady.  I devour that thing.  And then I order another.  Pair it with a cappuccino? That java goodness topped with frothy foam and “chocolat de poudre, sans sucre” (chocolate powder, no sugar), and I could sit outside in a wicker chair sipping and observing passerby’s all day. 

What is it about a good cup of coffee or wine?  It’s almost an out of body experience.  One sip and I’m transported back to those cobblestone streets, the smells of fresh breads and pastries enveloping my senses.  And it’s not nearly the same in New York.  The wine in Paris purer, the coffee richer. 
I am not the museum type.  I could care less about checking off the sights and scenes any travel guide will inform you is a necessity to this city.  To me the experience of the local fare, getting to know the attitudes and fashion of the people is how to truly acquaint with a new city.   Saunter down the narrow streets, pick up an armful of soft blush peonies and stop for an onion soup in the afternoon.  Let the city in and taste it.  We travel because when we arrive home, a piece of it invariably remains within us.

No comments